What is the Economic Mobility Collaborative?
We are a group of Californians with a broad range of experience and perspectives who unequivocally agree that current barriers to economic opportunity and mobility in California present a critical threat to the state's future, both economically and socially, and who want to help significantly change these conditions within 10 years.
Endorse The CADream4All Vision and Goals
What Do We Want to Change?
Let's Transform California into a place that assures Everyone access to the New California Dream:
1. A Home that…
- Is affordable (Cost of mortgage or rent should be 30% or less of annual income)
- Is in a safe neighborhood
- Has clean air and water, access to public services like parks and open space
- Has high speed internet service
- Is a short distance to groceries and other essential businesses
- Has access to Transportation, including to work, that is affordable, safe and reliable
(Affordable, Safe, Healthy, Connected)
2. Healthcare that…
- Includes affordable prenatal care, screenings, immunizations, and regular check-ups
- Includes affordable care for illness, emergencies, prescriptions, and mental health
(Affordable, Comprehensive, Preventive)
3. Employment that offers…
- Reliable/predictable living wage jobs
- Pathways to work in well-paid growth careers
- Workplace policies that support working families
- The ability to save for emergencies and retirement
(Stable, Family-Friendly, Fair, Enables Saving)
4. Education & Childcare that…
- Are affordable and reliable for working families
- Extend continuously from early childhood through an adult’s working life
- Successfully prepare toddlers, youth and adults for the next phase of education or work
- Are flexible, to accommodate people with a range of needs and constraints
(Affordable, Continuous, High Quality, Flexible)
5. A Foundation for Civic Participation that…
- Provides all Californians basic knowledge of how government works, and how to inform and influence it
- Maximizes voting access, encourages informed voting, and assures the integrity of the electoral system
- Is designed for inclusion, transparency and accountability, for informed decision-making and spending
(Accessible, Representative, Accountable, Informed)
Attainment of the above assets is the recipe for security and self-sufficiency that
allows individuals the freedom to pursue their chosen path in our contemporary world.
This is the New California Dream.
It’s also the foundational set of conditions that will best enable society
to discover and nurture the talents of every Californian, irrespective of region or race,
which is among the smartest things we can do as a state: It maximizes the number
of people working at what they do best; it enriches families and the communities
of which they are a part, and it prepares our full population to embrace the future.
Today’s reality is that record numbers of Californians, from birth through old age, are trapped
in perpetual economic insecurity with an intergenerational hold. It’s inhumane, it’s bad business,
and it severely constrains our ability to prepare for the economic,
technological and environmental challenges heading our way (rapidly).
Whether we change is our choice. We know what to do; we just need to decide to do it, by when, and how.
So let’s commit to transform California into a place that assures Everyone access to The New California Dream.
Please Join Us
- If you agree, Endorse The CADream4All Vision and Goals (We will ensure policy makers see it)
- Sign up for Updates and Things to Do
- Take the CADream4All Preferences Survey to share with us your skills and interests so we can deploy you in ways you know you’ll be most effective
- Follow @CADream4All on Twitter
- BE VISIBLE & BE HEARD: Attend events, Tell your electeds you want action and ask how you can help (then tell us and we’ll help you)
- Check out our Resources Page to stay informed
- Help Fund this work